Author Topic: 2pole 20hp and My 10 hp motor water jacket  (Read 4794 times)

Offline mizlplix

• Administrator
  • "The more you look, the more you find."
    • The old  build thread....
Re: 2pole 20hp and My 10 hp motor water jacket
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Today
___________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________

We got an early start this morning.  First up was Ivan's 10HP motor.

It was very snappy running and after optimization, topped out at about 6000RPM's.  The slip was adjusted up and down from the recommended value to get 110 Ft/Lbs of torque at rotor lock.
(Later we found that the max amperage allowed was set to 65% by mistake.) 

Next came my second motor. It registered at 178 fT/Lbs @ rotor lock. (after setting the amperage up to 100%) With a slip of 2.20.
It also ran up to about 5,800 RPM's. free running.  Pretty good for a huge 7-1/4" rotor.

Ivan has only to respline the shaft to my Turbo 400 output slip yoke and I am ready to install it!

When I give my present motor back to Ivan, he can run it for locked rotor and rpm to get a comparison check.

My 38 cells of 130 AH is my limiting factor. The Curtis controller is capable of handling more. 

Other than blowing out a spark plug on my F150 Lightning and enduring a 120 mile ride listening to a tow truck driver tell stories, it was a pretty good day.

Miz

1930 Ford Speedster, AC50, full manual powerglide, 6.14gears, 38-130AH CALBs.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »
 :<bs:

Well got that spline done soon as I figured out how to use that dividing head (us old folks have to be retrained once in a while).  two hours.

Ivan
:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
I loaded Mizs 20hp (the first one) on the dyno and set the original numbers he was using
with his controller.

slip gain   3.20  and got 89 foot lbs of torque.

slip gain  2.00   after adjusting slip gain  the torque went to 140 foot lbs.

Edit:: same story here, the amps on the controller was set low, 178 foot lbs locked rotor torque.

Big difference, it sure helps to have the dyno.  He was not getting all the motor he could have.

With his controller and HPEV VCL its not possible to change some parameters, we are working on it.
:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Here is a small video on optimization with the Curtis Controller.   :bx:

Offline westguard

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
Hi Ivan, how are the bores organised through the cooling  jacket? Is each hole plugged at both ends? If so how does coolant flow to its adjacent bore?

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 04:17:39 AM »
Every other hole is cross drilled with a 1/4" drill into both ends, cross drilling from a steep angle left a long slot, so water could pass from one, (bore )main hole to the next, then the plugs where inserted, ie. installed.  Kept track of the cross drilling, by marking the water flow, with a marker from one end to the other.

:mE>:   Make sense?

Offline westguard

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »
Something like this? (shows void areas)

Offline westguard

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »
or more like this?

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
or more like this?

YES  the second pic,  made a plug about a inch long, had pre drilled it 1/4 inch, welded a handle on it, for a drill guide.
 :mA<:

Offline westguard

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 04:22:27 AM »
Trying to get an idea of how much heat energy I need to pull out with a cooling jacket.   Do you have numbers on coolant entry/exit temp under high load (torque x rpm).  Or measured power in (voltage x current) vs power out (torque x rpm x const) at different rpms?   I've read somewhere that iron core losses are highly frequency dependant and may be a limiting factor in repurposing induction motors that weren't specifically designed for VFD operation