Author Topic: Oops just bought a 15kW motor  (Read 504 times)

Offline westguard

Oops just bought a 15kW motor
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
Have been entertaining the idea of doing an electric conversion over the last month or so. Have been reading up on as much as possible.
Goal is something lightweight with a range of ~100km (~60miles) which'll easily get me to work and back.

Going to try and do as much as possible DIY including a homebrew AC motor controller. A fully specified AC controller design with schematic/board/software is sorely missing from the DIY.EV community (as far as I can find anyhow).

Have bought a motor to play with - $100AU (~$75USD) got a me a 15kW (~20hp) 3-phase 415V 4pole.  Apparently was working when decommissioned from an industrial fuel pump. Have no easy way of testing it without 3-phase power though!

Anyway I'm looking doing a re-wire (surprise surprise) to get it in a usable voltage range.

Fun times ahead!

Offline westguard

Re: Oops just bought a 15kW motor
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »
Here's a test report of the same manufacturer's new version of this motor - can't imagine mines too different.
http://www.regalaustralia.com.au//reports/PPA/M3401500_PPA_.pdf

Offline piotrsko

Re: Oops just bought a 15kW motor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:47:36 AM »
Two more or less functioning diy ac controllers are huebners and mpaulholmes.  Both run and have options.  There is the whole curtis line.  The volt and leaf people are adapting salvage controllers.

If you have a motor shop, ask if they can test for you and how much $$$.  My place has a nominal charge, but can do up to 1000 hp multi phase REALLY high voltage.