Author Topic: Finding or Picking a New Motor for Rewind  (Read 14916 times)

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
Re: Finding or Picking a New Motor for Rewind
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 03:51:14 AM »
Got some questions:
- How do I know how many poles a motor has or it doesn't matter since in the process of rewinding the poles will be multiplied or reduced?
- Also referring the chart above, I went across 2 motors being rated like this:
15 Kw 2800 rpm and the other one 11 Kw 1450 rpm. These numbers are somehow in between, does it matter?
- Also I remember reading here that the stator slots must be dividable with 4, so no odd numbers, how do I know for the number of stator slots before purchase?
- And finally, has the Hz rating any up sides or down sides? Knowing its the frequency, does this relate to the controllers available?

I would like to see pics of the motor tags..  these don't sound like stock 3 phase motors (junk motors)   36 slot stator is best and most common.

We are winding ONLY for the curtis controllers.
:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply, here are some pics:

First two are 7.5 kw the other two 11kw as you can see, these are not the exact ones that I was looking  but Im sure they are pretty much the same.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »
Where you from Horizon?

Those are foreign motors that I have never dealt with before, they got some high voltages.

I don't see a pole count or rpms don't make sense to me.   :O):

The 3rd tag down looks it would be a 2pole motor,  I would look at that one, slots?

Ivan
:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »
These are from the Balkans, the "min" stamp means rpm, and they all are 50 Hz rated.
Unfortunately I don't know the slots number (thats why I'm asking here), however the poles number can be changed while rewinding if I'm not mistaken? What do you think, would some of these be a good donor if I am sure of the slot number is dividable by 4? Is there any way I could recognize which one has less back iron?

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
These are from the Balkans, the "min" stamp means rpm, and they all are 50 Hz rated.
Unfortunately I don't know the slots number (thats why I'm asking here), however the poles number can be changed while rewinding if I'm not mistaken? What do you think, would some of these be a good donor if I am sure of the slot number is dividable by 4? Is there any way I could recognize which one has less back iron?

Like I said before
The 3rd tag down looks like it would be a 2pole motor, generally a 2 pole has more back iron.

I would look at that one, slots?

Offline HighHopes

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
looks like 2 speed motor too, delta/wye.

No not two speed, dual voltage.....   :dD>:

Offline Horizon

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »
I'd like to ask Ivan what weight of a vehicle I could convert using a 5.5 kw motor.
I found a 5.5 kw one that is rated 380 volts and 1450 rpm, 50 Hz. I didn't bought it but its taken into consideration.
The vehicle that am hoping to convert is about 2200 lbs but has a 1.5 liter engine also is 4wd, and after I remove all this it should be quite lighter and I thought if Ivan can put his 7.5 kw motor on a truck, why couldn't I put a 5.5 on a that vehicle. Any thoughts?

Offline Horizon

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
Hey guys, some new motors are up.
This one is 10.5 kw, dual voltage it seems. I'll try to get better shots.
The other one 17 kw. (146 kg???)
Do you think these would do the job?
Ill post pictures of another two these days.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
I'm going to check out a 3kw one tomorrow, I might use it for a motorcycle conversion.
The owner says the badge is missing so can anyone please tell me what average size should I be looking at? Length, diameter?
Any info is appreciated.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
I'm going to check out a 3kw one tomorrow, I might use it for a motorcycle conversion.
The owner says the badge is missing so can anyone please tell me what average size should I be looking at? Length, diameter?
Any info is appreciated.

A pig in a poke??   :Ed>:
10hp 9-10 inch diameter    7.5hp 7-8 inch diameter   5hp 6-8 inch diameter
 I know one thing  EFFICIENCY sure can make a big difference.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Took it home :D
Length of the stator without the end bells is 8.5 inches (rotor length).
Diameter of the stator is 7 and so inches and the inside diameter is 6.69 inches.
Diameter of the rotor is 4 inches.
The length of the rotor laminations is 4.7 inches. The rotor has some small amount of rust and a few small dents, no other damage.
36 stator slots.
So what power rating is this one?
I know it could use for a motorcycle conversion but could it be also good for a micro car?

Offline mizlplix

• Administrator
  • "The more you look, the more you find."
    • The old  build thread....
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
OK, just for comparison:

AC50= rotor diameter about 4",  the rotor laminations are 7" long (thick). They are skewed. (That is a 7.5HP motor core)

Ivan's motor is larger. It is a 10HP core.

My first 20 HP aluminum motor had a 7" stator/rotor too, it had an 8" diameter rotor.

We have determined that when choosing a core to rewire, you need to FIRST determine the efficiency rating.   The old motors and regular duty motors are 90% and lower.
The premium efficiency  motors are 93% and above.

The newer the motor, the better the allow used in the laminations.
The better the efficiency rating, means that either the lams are thinner allowing more per inch or a better lamination allow or both.

1930 Ford Speedster, AC50, full manual powerglide, 6.14gears, 38-130AH CALBs.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
Hey Miz,
Surely efficiency is important, a motor being more efficient would mean consuming less amps for the same distance at the same voltage than a motor being less efficient.
I'm guessing this one is around the 90%.
Through this time of research I've found that usually the higher hp motors and the ones wound for greater voltage are more efficient.

The motor has one of the end bells standard and the other one is a bell like shape with holes. This one has skewed laminations also.
Some pictures:
* Note: I seem to be having some problems with posting today, this is the fifth time I'm trying to post, it seems the pictures are the problem.

Offline Horizon

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
The stuff on the rotor is rust on the surface, and the small cube is a dent.