Author Topic: Cleaning Out Burnout a Stator  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
Cleaning Out Burnout a Stator
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
The best way is to have the motor burtout.  Motor shops cut the head off the motor (head is the end with all the connections and leads) then they put it in the oven (600 degrees F) for a couple hours. By leaving the one end of the coils on the motor gives you something to grab and pull out the winding. 

You don't want to use any chemicals that would possibly dissolve the insulation on the stator laminations.

If you are a real DIYer you can get a turkey cooker,  single burner, propane stoves that stands by itself, place stator on top, then place metal (sheet metal or ??) on top of stator to retain the heat. The varnish does not get gummy or soft, it will get black and dry, burnt.

The max temp. you want to reach on a burn out is 650 degrees. 

Check it every hour, take off cover (with pliers) and see if you can pull the winding from stator.  I take big screwdriver from side of case to go under winding coil and see if it will pry out.

One of the best tools to clean slots or break, slot papers loose, is to use a carpet knife.  They have a 90 degree curved blade with a wood handle.

You can drag the knife down the slots between the, slot paper and stator.

:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline Ivan

• Administrator
    • Ivan's Garage
Re: Cleaning Out Burnout a Stator
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:18 AM »
Here is some new pics using a turkey fryer to burn out my new 20 hp motor.

This took about two hours, the inside temp was at about 500-550 degrees, perfect. When everything is nice and black it should be done.

The second pic is, after 35 minutes the insulation is just starting to burn.

Click on pics for larger image.
:co<:  If you bought just one or two extra can goods a week and donated to a food bank   Nobody would go hungry.

Offline HighHopes

Re: Cleaning Out Burnout a Stator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
i'm glad you posted that picture, i was thinking of something totally different by your description :)