Author Topic: The theory of possible conversion of an induction motor to BLDC operation.  (Read 20363 times)

Offline piotrsko

FWIW:  my RC electric controllers don't care whether the motor is an in runner or out runner.

Offline arlo1

FWIW:  my RC electric controllers don't care whether the motor is an in runner or out runner.

Im not talking about controllers.  Im just looking at the winding calculator and using it as a guide for magnet placement and windings  The calculator is for out runners.   But it should give us the help we need to make a decent inner runner.

Offline piotrsko

dude: my comment was reinforcing your assumption that the calcs would work as far as electrically for both inrunners and outrunners, at least in my experiences.  BUT YMMV.

Offline arlo1

Ok I found a 40hp 3phase for free! :)  I think I will make this the BLDC for the ROAD RUNNER :)
Here is a thread with some specs from the BLDC from the Highlander Hybrid   http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/highlander-hybrid-and-prius-motors-86829.html

Offline arlo1

OK so.... This might be the motor to make into something AWESOME for the Road Runner

Offline mizlplix

• Administrator
  • "The more you look, the more you find."
    • The old  build thread....
Ivan's RC Copter motor.

Miz
1930 Ford Speedster, AC50, full manual powerglide, 6.14gears, 38-130AH CALBs.

Offline arlo1

Ok So I took the big one apart. Its a wound rotor which means I have Laminations for a out runner and an inner runner.

So here is the numbers
I will post pics soon I forgot to take any tonight.

1 is a 215t frame with a 36 tooth stator. It has a 6" long stator and 5.5 inches dia. with .020" thick lams
2 is a 215t frame with a 48 tooth stator. It has a 5.75" long stator with 5.5 inches dia. with .020 thick lams
3 is a 256 frame with a 36 tooth stator. It has 6" long stator with 7"dia with .020 thick lams
4 is the big one... its a 364z frame with 60 tooth stator and IN this motor the stator is 5.125" long and 10.25" dia. this one will make some serious torque.
5 is if I used the rotor from 4 and made an out runner. I think it would be the same for torque density.

I don't know what magnets I will use but If anyone has links to magnet supplies for 150 deg C and decent pull force or N rating let me know.
Im guessing N42 magnets. I think they are the strongest I found to 150 deg c temp